10 Things You'll Only Understand If You Grew Up With Immigrant Parents
2 June 2016, 12:14
"There's food in the house."
Cool news, guys. It's officially official that your generation is either THE most or the second most culturally diverse...in history. That means, you or someone you know probably grew up in a immigrant household and totally know the following feels.
1) Explaining a bad grade to your parents was an impossible task.
2) You: "Mum, can we go to McDonalds?" Mum:"There's food in the house."
3) Getting the "when I was your age growing up in [insert their home country] I didn't have everything you have" speech at least once a day.
4) Constant threats to send you back to the old country for having a bad attitude.
5) Bringing ethnic food for lunch in grade school and then everyone asking you 20 questions about a simple dish you eat all the time.
6) Receiving threats in their native language so other people don't know that you're in real big trouble.
7) Trying and failing to explain western culture and why they should let you have sleepovers and stay out at night.
gif via viralthread.com
8) They think everyone is plotting to kidnap and kill you so you better get home before it gets dark.
9) Giving up on trying to get teachers to pronounce your name correctly.
10) Finally realizing as you get older that your culture is actually kind of lit.
gif via giphy