Cut To The Feeling Carly Rae Jepsen
17 May 2016, 12:36
A look back at the biggest ever year for Tyler and Josh as they hit the mainstream.
One year ago this week, Twenty One Pilots dropped the "Blurryface" album, two days ahead of the intended release schedule, and thus began the biggest, most successful year of the band's career to date.
So, let's take a quick sec to look back on how Tyler and Josh went from scene favourites to chart-conquering kings in just 12 months. Here are 21 key moments that made this the year of Twenty One Pilots.
1) "Blurryface" debuts at Number 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart with 134,000 copies sold in its first week alone. For comparison, "Vessel" peaked at Number 58 in 2013 with total sales of 265,000.
2) The Blurryface Tour begins with some intimate UK dates, beginning May 11th at the O2 ABC in Glasgow.
3) The boys storm Bonnaroo festival, opening the main "What Stage" on the Sunday, performing alongside Spoon, Florence And The Machine and Billy Joel, showcasing their energetic live performances to a whole new, diverse audience.
4) The "Lane Boy" video drops and sends Tumblr into meltdown with its moody aesthetic and crazy crowd shots.
5) The boys are nominated for their first ever Teen Choice Award, up for Choice Rock Song for "Tear In My Heart".
6) TØP continue their festival-slaying summer with a huge performance at the legendary Lollapalooza.
thank you for joining us at main stage this afternoon, Chicagø. https://t.co/yoABkNyMgW— twenty one pilots (@twentyonepilots) August 2, 2015
7) The boys are picked to appear on video games with "Heavydirtysoul" included in the Madden NFL '16 and WWE 2K16 soundtracks.
8) The MTV VMAs feature a joint medley performance from Tyler, Josh and rapper A$AP Rocky.
9) The Blurryface North American tour kicks off in Washington, taking in a total of 27 dates across the US and Canada.
10) The band make their first network late night TV appearance in New York on Late Night With Seth Meyers, hosted by the former SNL head writer.
11) The tour stops off for a homecoming show at Ohio State University, the venue adorned with banners reading "WELCØME HØME".
12) The boys' silly game of "Extreme Phone Pinching", holding their cell phones in potential dangerous positions where they could get dropped and destroyed, goes viral and copycat attempts uploaded to social media are reported by media outlets in the UK and beyond.
Stressful as f*ck.
13) The boys travel to the MTV EMAs to play "Tear In My Heart" live on the show as well as an extended set on the plaza in host city Milan. They are also nominated for the Best Alternative award, up against their friends and former tour mates Fall Out Boy.
14) A Tyler Vs Josh Twitter-based Presidential debate proves inconclusive in its voting system...
*official poll* #TOPdebate— twenty one pilots (@twentyonepilots) October 30, 2015
15) The band's Emotional Roadshow arena tour of the US sells out many of its first batch of dates, the group adding a second night at New York's legendary Madison Square Garden venue.
16) "Stressed Out" goes to Number One on the Billboard Rock Chart, a career high.
17) "Stressed Out" also breaks in to the Top 10 of the main Billboard Hot 100 chart, eventually peaking in the Number 2 position with over 3m copies sold.
18) The band return to the UK for their biggest ever shows including two sold out nights at Brixton Academy in the company of several thousand official Josh Dun Huns.
19) The "Blurryface Live" concert film is screened at UK cinemas, with several videos of individual tracks released online.
20) A new video for "Heavydirtysoul" drops online, filmed up close during a recent live show.
21) The band's huge Emotional Roadshow tour begins as another summer of touring kicks off.
What a year!