Gemma Styles reveals the 5 things she can’t live without | My Life In 20
25 November 2020, 18:09
"Is it possible to love two people at the same time? I think so...if Twilight taught us anything"
The world could probably do with more people like Gemma Styles.
Gemma was somewhat unexpectedly thrust into the spotlight after her brother Harry became one of the world's most adored pop stars, but Gemma has gone on to forge her own path and build a large and engaged following all of her own.
After contributing articles to several publishers on a range of subjects close to her heart like feminism, mental health and sustainability, Gemma is now taking her passion for using her platform for good a step further with her new podcast called Good Influence with Gemma Styes.
Across 12 episodes, Gemma will talk with experts who aim to help us pay attention to something we should know about, but maybe they don’t, including therapy, sustainability, climate change, and on today's new episode, Gemma is joined by Max La Manna to discuss food waste.
That's not all. Gemma opens up her podcast for listeners to get involved with a special Q&A segment in each episode. Gemma said she felt it was important to do this so "people, possibly with a different point of view from myself, the chance to get in on the chat as well." You can even suggest topics for future episodes too. What do we love to see? It.
Before you get stuck into the podcast, get to know Gemma a little better as she answers our My Life in 20 questions below.
20) Describe 2020 in a word.
19) What was your favourite album from 2019?
My most played was Ariana Grande - thank u, next.
18) Is turning 18 underrated or overrated?
17) Who was your crush at 17?
Seth Cohen from The O.C.
16) What did you do for your sweet 16th?
Think I had a party at home? My mum put up embarrassing pictures and I took down the worst ones.
15) What job did you have when you were 15?
Waitressing in a pub. I didn’t mind it but preferred pouring drinks. I think I left that year actually, because we moved house.
14) Which TV show were you obsessed with at 14?
Charmed. Imagine finding out you’ve got powers, who doesn’t want that?
13) How do you remember feeling at 13?
12) You’ve got 12 hours to kill in an airport. What are you going to do?
Load up on snacks, make sure I have a battery pack and find a quiet corner to hunker down in. I’m an excellent time waster so long as I have my phone.
11) Who was your best friend when you were 11?
Chloe. We met when we were five and she’s basically like my sister. Our mums are best friends too.
10) What advice would you give to yourself at 10?
Don’t worry so much about what people think.
9) What was your biggest fear when you were 9 years old?
8) What job did you want when you were 8?
A teacher. Not sure why I just always wanted to! There was maybe a few months I wanted to be a nurse… then realised I was super squeamish.
7) Which of the seven deadly sins are you most guilty of?
6) You can invite six people to your dream dinner party (dead or alive), who would you invite?
David Attenborough, Meryl Streep, Andy Samberg, Alain de Botton, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and my late grandmother Mary, because I was so small when she died, I’d like to have more memories of her.
5) Name five things you can't live without.
My phone, crisps, cats, slippers and lip balm.
4) Describe yourself in four words.
Constant work in progress.
3) Your top three songs of all time.
Impossible question… 'Hotel California' - Eagles, 'Simple Song' - The Shins and 'Lake Shore Drive' - Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah.
2) Is it possible to love two people at the same time?
I think so… if Twilight taught us anything.
1) What or who is your one true love?
Listen to Good Influence with Gemma Styles, with a new episode every Monday, on the links below.