Everyone Thinks "Houseparty" Will Be The Next Big Teen App For 2017
3 January 2017, 18:24 | Updated: 8 May 2017, 17:09
Why does everyone love it so much?
Everyone knows what happens when an app is about to blow up. It gets nonstop social chatter and, for some reason, your friends keep begging you to sign up to some new thing you've never heard of. Just think back to the early days of Snapchat, when you couldn't quite figure out how the hell a "story" worked.
Interestingly enough, there may just be a new app coming to snatch Snapchat's edges (other than Instagram, I mean).
Houseparty app looks poised to be the million dollar baby of 2017.
So what exactly is Houseparty app?
- It was founded by the creators of the dearly departed Meerkat app. Launched in 2016 and quietly tested under a pseudonym, Houseparty has begun to pick up big traction among 16-24-year-olds.
- It's now one of the most popular apps in the app store.
- Where Snapchat and Instagram allow you to send short video to followers, Houseparty allows you to host and join video parties (think video chatrooms) of up to 8 people.
- Many have likened it to iOS' Facetime (or even Whatsapp's new video call feature), but the capacity of the video chats are what sets Houseparty apart.
- Rather than just creating images or videos to look at, Houseparty is meant to create "spaces", as its name suggests. You can host "events" of sorts by getting your friends to open the app and join groups at a certain time.
So, what are the odds of Houseparty becoming the next big app of 2017?
Pretty decent, actually. Right now video broadcasting is on the rise. Facebook do broadcasting well; and Periscope have carved out a cozy little niche for themselves.
Houseparty seems poised to combine the best elements of apps like Snapchat and Instagram (video, small social circles) and apps like Periscope and Facebook (live broadcasting).
Waiting for my friends to download the House Party app pic.twitter.com/CkirHhBXhJ— Ol' QWERTY Bastard (@TheDiLLon1) January 3, 2017
What do you guys think? Will you be trying out Houseparty for the lolz? Tell us in the comments below!
___ ___ ___ ___ ___
From Brendon Urie to The Vamps, here are the best bits from the #PopBuzzPodcast in 2016. Listen right here or subscribe for free on iTunes to get new episodes sent straight to your phone every Wednesday.