YouTube will no longer unverify top creators as CEO says sorry for "hurt and frustration" caused
21 September 2019, 16:28
CEO Susan Wojcicki apologised and reversed new YouTube verification plans after public outcry from creators like James Charles, Life With MaK and Jacksepticeye. Under announced rules, creators with massive followings were previously at risk of losing their verified status.
YouTubers were left stunned this past week after the platform announced planned changes to its verification policy. Popular creators like James Charles, Life With MaK, and Jacksepticeye spoke out against the decision to remove 'verified' checkmarks from the profiles of some hugely popular creators under new rules.
READ MORE: Lilly Singh: 17 facts you should know about the YouTuber and talk show host
Now, in an unusual reversal, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki has announced that the platform is scrapping plans to take away verification badges from popular content creators on the site.
On Friday (20 September) Wojcicki apologised on Twitter, saying that the company had heard "loud & clear how much the badge means" and also expressing regret over the "frustration and hurt" the announcement caused.
To our creators & users–I’m sorry for the frustration & hurt that we caused with our new approach to verification. While trying to make improvements, we missed the mark. As I write this, we're working to address your concerns & we’ll have more updates soon.— Susan Wojcicki (@SusanWojcicki) September 20, 2019
Wojcicki said that anyone who is currently verified by the platform will remain verified "without appeal". She also clarified that channels who reach 100,000 subscribers will remain eligible for verification. The only case that a creator with a large following may lose verification status, is if they change their name on the site–as was the case recently with Jake Paul.
Even then, such YouTubers can still reapply for verification.
UPDATE 1: We heard loud & clear how much the badge means to you. Channels that currently have verification will now keep it without appeal. We’ll continue reviewing those channels to ensure we’re protecting creators from impersonation. More on our changes: https://t.co/B715A8xq2f— Susan Wojcicki (@SusanWojcicki) September 20, 2019
Previously, YouTubers had expressed annoyance at what some called a "pointless" and "disappointing" change to the policy. Amid the controversy, YouTube explained that it was tightening up the verification policy to "help viewers distinguish the official channel of a creator, celebrity, or brand."
Frustrated over the announcement, some had posted screenshots emails they received notifying them that their channel would no longer be verified starting in October.
"We're writing to let you know we're updating the eligibility criteria for channel verification," the emails read. "Unfortunately, with these changes, your channel no longer meets the criteria to be verified."
Now, as Susan Wojcicki admits the policy change "missed the mark", creators can presumably breathe a sigh of relief.