7 Weird Facts You Never Knew About Your Period
5 October 2016, 17:25 | Updated: 8 May 2017, 17:09
Know your enemy.
If you get periods, you're...probably not a fan. Despite being a total inconvenience, your body actually does a lot of interesting things when you're on your period. If you're not a complete period expert already, you're about to become one.
1) Your period probably seems like the volume of Niagra Falls but, in reality, you only bleed out 30-45 ml (2-3 tablespoons) of blood each month.
2) In your lifetime, you'll spend about 3,500 days on your period.
3) The back pain that many women experience on their periods can mean overly high levels of estrogen.
4) On average, a woman's cycle can last anywhere between 21-35 days. So basically, whatever your uterus wants, whenever it wants it.
5) You definitely CAN get pregnant on your period.
6) One week before your period your brain experiences a drop in serotonin (the mood-regulating brain chemical), that may be why you have sugar and chocolate cravings around that time.
7) What's the best position to sleep in to relieve period pains? The fetal position.