10 Thoughts That Cross Your Mind While Avoiding People In The Street
14 October 2015, 17:52 | Updated: 8 May 2017, 17:09
We've all been there. You're walking down the street and you see someone you know. Perhaps you hooked up with them years ago, or they're a friend of a friend you find super annoying, but whatever it is, you decided that you do not want to talk to them.
In extreme cases, such as myself, they could even be a good friend but for some reason, in that split second when I have to decide, I just can't.
To help explain this social phenomena in a bit more detail and depth, we've got a breakdown to explain the very nuanced, confusing and ultimately much more awkward scenario of avoiding talking to someone rather than just saying hello. FML.
1) Firstly, you spot the other person up ahead. You're suddenly overcome with dread and want to hide.
2) Just as you look down to avert your eyes, they spot you. A part of you dies inside.
3) You panic about what to do next.
4) As you didn't look back to acknowledge them, you commit to the illogical tactic of ignoring them completely.
5) You feel the heat of them staring upon your neck and you start to sweat. You start to turn away.
6) You reach the lip of the pavement. You're moments away from escape but a deep anxiety takes root.
7) The worst thing happens...you hear a distant shout of your name. You start muttering expletives under your breath. Sh*t just got real.
8) You ignore them calling you and do the most sensible thing: walk into fast moving traffic and hope for the best.
9) By some miracle you reach the other side. The awkward encounter is over. You breath a huge sigh of relief.
10) But you run round the corner, just to make sure.
Thank god it's over...until the next time.