A Teenager Has Died After A Tragic Accident While Using Her Phone In The Tub

11 July 2017, 11:37 | Updated: 11 July 2017, 12:33

Madison coe family photo 2
Nicky Idika

By Nicky Idika

"This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else."

A 14-year-old girl in New Mexico has died after accidentally electrocuting herself while in the bath. The family of Madison Coe are remembering their "shining star" this week and warning others against the perils of mixing water and electricity. 

Madison Coe family photo

via KCBD/Family photo

Madison's family says that the incident occurred when she reached for a phone that was plugged into the wall while in the bath. Her hands were likely wet, causing her to be fatally electrocuted. Madison's family say they found a burn mark on the hand the teenager would have used to grab her phone. 

Madison's grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, told KCBD that she hopes this incident can raise awareness. "This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging." 

Madison had just graduated from Terra Vista Middle School and was due to start her first year of high school. She was an athlete and played the tuba. Her family have set up a gofundme to help with expenses. 

Everyone please be aware of using electronic devices around water, electricity, or extreme weather conditions. Our phones, laptops, and tablets are volatile and can respond to water, condensation, heat, and electrical currents. Madison's story is very tragic and could happen to any of us. 

____ ____ ____ ____ ____

Listen to the #PopBuzzPodcast with Tom Holland and Zendaya right here or subscribe for free on iTunes to get new episodes sent straight to your phone every Friday.