The 1975's 'Sincerity Is Scary': 17 hidden messages you might have missed in the video
22 November 2018, 14:25 | Updated: 22 November 2018, 16:02
The 1975s' latest 'A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships' music video is filled with easter eggs...
The 1975 season is finally in full swing. After blessing us with not one, not two but FIVE iconic singles in 2018, the boys are due to release their third studio album A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships next Friday. Judging from what we've heard so far, it could be their best project yet.
Yesterday, The 1975 put out their 'Sincerity Is Scary' music video and it's safe to say that it is one of the standout visuals of the year so far. Not only is it beautifully filmed but it's also as moving as the single itself. The costumes, cast and choreography are all beautiful.
Unsurprisingly, it's the Number 1 video trending on YouTube in the UK right now.
Watch the 'Sincerity Is Scary' video below.
However, it wouldn't be a 1975 music video without a bucketload of secret meanings and hidden messages. Alongside its own story, the visual pays tribute to famous movies, legendary popstars and the group's previous work. Last night, Matty tweeted: "Find all the Easter eggs in the video" and since then fans worldwide have been hunting for them.
So without further ado, here are just 17 of the things you may have missed in 'Sincerity is Scary' when you first saw it.
1. When Matty wakes up the clock points at the numbers 1, 9, 7 and 5.
A nice subtle name reference.
2. The picture at the start of the video is from Joseph Beuys' 'I like America and America likes me' project.
In 1974 Beuys locked himself in a room with a coyote as part of his 'I like America and America likes me' project. It's widely considered that the coyote is a symbol for change and progress.
3. The door is numbered 1975.
4. No Rome has a cameo.
no rome and the dog from the narcissist video pic.twitter.com/WaEtSpdRZM— 𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖘𝖎 (@1975cheIs) November 21, 2018
It's no secret that The 1975 have had a huge hand in No Rome's career. As well as writing music together and signing to Dirty Hit, No Rome regularly appears in The 1975 videos. You may have spotted him in 'TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME'. The cute dog also features in No Rome's 'Narcissist' video.
5. There is a man wearing an A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships paper bag on his head.
It looks like this is the same person who has appeared in previous posters from this era. The bag is a reference to Shia LaBeouf's 'I am not famous anymore' paper bag.
6. The newspapers title reads 'modernity has failed us'.
It's hard to make out but fans have deduced that the newspaper in the video is a link to The 1975's previous single 'Love It If We Made It'. Also The Macomb Daily was one of the first daily newspapers to ever be circulated online.
7. The rose giving and some of the choreography is a connection to 'A Change of Heart'.
the flower giving & the same choreography from the change of heart video pic.twitter.com/z939HufQYt— 𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖘𝖎 (@1975cheIs) November 21, 2018
Fans will also know that Matty often performs 'A Change of Heart' holding a rose and a glass of red wine.
8. The duo dance sequence is also inspired by the alley scene in My Sister Eileen.
Matty confirmed this on Twitter last night.
9. The group pay tribute to Michael Jackson.
Matty sneaks in an homage to the King of Pop.
10. Also Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain.
11. The football harks back to the 'Settle Down' video.
12. It looks like the hopscotch reads 1975.
hard to capture but i'm pretty sure the hopscotch has the 1975 pic.twitter.com/Pii7Zcq2lp— shelbæ (@shelbtrix) November 21, 2018
If you look closely it appears to read 1 then 9 then 7 then 5 in the central numbers from right to left.
13. The video is littered with comedic tropes.
The comedic tropes - the banana skin, falling in the hole, the piano falling, football thru the window— Lola (@___happysad__) November 21, 2018
The visual puts classic film front and centre.
14. The cinema sign is a 'Robbers' reference.
It means 'the poetry is in the streets'. You may recognise the cinema and some of the set from Beyoncé's 'Hold Up' music video and Lemonade album artwork.
15. You can spot 'I like it when you sleep for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it' album posters at the cinema.
ILIWYS ALBUM COVER IN WINDOWS pic.twitter.com/i6BIWtSLT9— // Kasey Elizabeth // (@PoetryDansLaRue) November 21, 2018
16. The girl at the end is wearing the 'A Change of Heart' make-up.
A Change of Heart (2016) // Sincerity is Scary (2018) pic.twitter.com/0UQ6qF2pHY— Tash (@tashajagger_) November 21, 2018
No. We're not crying you are.
17. Last but not least those bunny ears are from an NME shoot this year.
Matty was teasing the video back in September. His mind.