15 Incredible Lyrics That Totally Saved 2016
28 December 2016, 16:22 | Updated: 26 March 2021, 17:26
Better call Matty with the good hair...
We can all agree that 2016 kinda sucked, but at least the music was good. In fact, it might have been the only redeeming thing.
So we can totally understand why #LyricsThatMade2016 started trending last night on Twitter. Fans were sharing some of their favourite lyrics and there were some absolute gems.
This doesn't totally make sense but we know what you mean.
#LyricsThatMade2016 'are you calling me a sinner?'— D-2 (@truIytae) December 27, 2016
I literally screamed when I first heard this lyric.
"He better call Becky with the good hair" #LyricsThatMade2016— (@illywhitesides) December 27, 2016
The exact moment everyone starting saying 'savage'. Thanks Rihanna.
#lyricsthatmade2016 "Didn't they tell you that I was a savage?" @rihanna— RAine (@PhumyDemure) December 27, 2016
Here's a couple of our favourite lyrics from 2016. Shout out your favourite lines in the comments and we'll add them to the list!
1. "And then you took a picture of your salad / And put it on the Internet."
- The 1975, 'A Change Of Heart'.
We could have picked a lyric at random from I Like It When You Sleep... such is it's lyrical prowess. But this short line, in which Healy manages to burns his ex and make a wry comment on the vapidness of social media is one of his best.
2. "Boy, you've got me walking side to side."
- Ariana Grande, 'Side to Side'.
We're still blushing about this line tbh.
3. "Our love's strong like Mufasa and Simba / Never need to download Tinder."
- Skepta, 'Text Me Back'.
UK grime hero Skepta shows his softer side on this ode to his lover who waits patiently at home while he's out touring (at least, that's what he hopes!)
4. "I wanna fuck, you want to use the WiFi"
- Death Team, 'Jump'.
Ever left your partner because they're boring? Well this is the song for you.
5. "So gather all the rebels now / we'll rebel-rouse and sing aloud / We don't care what they say no way."
- Alessia Cara, 'Wild Things'.
In 2016 needed a 'New Americana', then this was it.
6. "Take my hand, stay Joanne / Heaven's not ready for you"
- Lady Gaga, 'Joanne'.
Written in honour of her aunt, Joanne, who died before she was born. Gaga showed real heart and depth on this, the title-track from her latest album.
7. "She said I look fat but I look fantastic"
- Glass Animals, 'Life Itself'.
Quite the burn, and it's even worse when you consider that lead-singer Dave Bayley is talking about his mother.
8. "My boyfriend saved me / My mother's homophobic / I'm stuck in the closet / I'm so claustrophobic"
- Kevin Abstract, 'American Boyfriend'.
Abstract doesn't do subtly, and thank god for that or else we wouldn't get such beautifully jarring lyrics like this.
9. "I'm just goin' to the store, to the store / I'm just goin' to the store / You might not see me anymore, anymore / I'm just goin' to the store."
- Carly Rae Jepsen, 'Store'.
It's one of those lyrics that is just so stupid, it's actually kind of genius.
10. "So baby let's just turn down the lights and close the door / Oooh I love that dress but you won't need it anymore."
- Bruno Mars, 'Versace On The Floor'.
The whole thing is so ridiculously absurd that I'm afraid it was love on first listen. I feel moist just thinking about it.
11. "Who the fuck do you think I am? You ain't married to no average bitch boy."
- Beyoncé, 'Don't Hurt Yourself'.
The angriest Beyoncé has ever sounded. So angry, in fact, that we immediately went bald.
12. "Let me cover your shit in glitter / I can make it gold"
- Rihanna, 'Consideration'.
In this lyric Rihanna proclaims herself so powerful, talented and successful she can turn any song into gold. And she's right.
13. "I'm the Greek economy of cashing intellectual cheques."
- The 1975, 'Loving Someone'.
Comparing your own intellect to a crumbling economy of a foreign country might be the most pretentious lyric of 2016 but it's also one of its best.
14. "I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that bitch famous."
- Kanye West, 'Famous'.
Whether you like it or not, this lyric dominated 2016 and gave rise to the infamous Snakes on a Phone scandal. Damn, son.
15. "I lost a bet to a guy in a chiffon skirt, but I make these high heels work."
- Panic! At The Disco, 'Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time'.
The bachelor might have died but he certainly went out with a bang (and some nice heels).
___ ___ ___ ___ ___
YOU voted and results are in! Who won the Album of the Year at the PopBuzz Fan Awards? Listen to the #PopBuzzPodcast right here or subscribe for free on iTunes to get new episodes sent straight to your phone every Wednesday.