16 Infuriating Struggles Only People Who Have Worn School Uniform Will Know
26 May 2016, 15:57 | Updated: 8 May 2017, 17:09
Our thoughts are with you if you ever had to wear one of those hideous hats.
If you're from the UK, then you'll already know that wearing a school uniform is mandatory and it's literally the worst thing in the entire world. And if you're one of the unlucky ones in the US that has to rock an awkward pleated skirt everyday, then we totally feel your pain and we're so so sorry that you had to go through that. Let's all hold hands and cry through this list together.
1) It is a scientific fact that having to wear school uniform is the bane of our very existence.
A single tear would roll down your face every time you saw a school that didn't have to wear uniform. Oh, they don't know how lucky they are!
2) There was probably a hideous check pleated skirt involved, right?
Honestly, what was wrong with a plain grey skirt?! WAS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?
3) But if you had to wear a blazer and tie... it was basically game over.
The blazer I can work with... BUT THE TIE?! Oh heeeeellll naw!
4) You roll up your skirt every single day until it is waaaaay past the recommended length.
And it takes a particular set of skills to make it look convincing enough to avoid being told to roll it back down by your annoying English teacher.
5) And the older you are, the shorter your skirt is. It's just the rules of the corridors.
Shout out to the first years who had skirts down to their ankles tho. We've all been there.
5) The day you were allowed to stop wearing your blazer was the actual best day of your life.
6) If you ever lost your jumper, the only way you could tell whose was whose was if you sniffed it.
"Oh, Jessica... this one totally smells like your CK One body spray - it's definitely yours!"
7) Like the length of your skirt, the size of your bag determined whether you were a tiny first year or one of the badass older girls.
First year: Oversized backpack full of text books vs. Last year: Small cross-body satchel with like, maaaybe one pencil?
8) They may have taken away your freedom to express yourself through clothing, but they'll never take away our fresh hair glo-ups!
Through your hair alone, you could tell who was part of what friendship group. Dead straight shoulder length hair with a swooping oversized fringe? Scene crowd. Long beach-wavy hair? Popular crew. Defo.
9) Buuuut if you ever tried it with subtle make up or nail varnish? Detention. Straight away.
10) If your school had a winter coat colour code, then you probably spent most of your lunch breaks dodging the teachers.
That bright pink bomber jacket is SOOOOO against school rules!
12) Knee high socks or woolly tights? The endless debate that destroyed friendships and disrupted all your classes.
Woolly tights always. Don't argue with me.
13) There was always ONE other school in your area who had a uniform that actually made you jealous.
Why couldn't I have gone to that school!? MUM? WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?!
14) On your last day of school, you can't WAIT to destroy every single item you're wearing.
CUT THE SKIRT! DRAW ON THE SHIRT! BURN THE JUMPER!
15) Oooooh... own clothes day? BEST DAY OF THE YEAR, AMIRIGHT?!
Time to show off every single thing you bought from H&M at the weekend in preparation for this monumental day!
16) But like, can we get real for a sec? Can we just spare a moment of thought for those who had to wear hats?
We're so so sorry for your life.