51 hidden ghosts in Haunting of Bly Manor you might have missed
17 October 2020, 15:16
There's almost 50 hidden ghosts in Haunting of Bly Manor – how many did you manage to notice? Here's a guide of where you can find them in each episode...
As Flora Wingrave once said, “Dead doesn’t mean gone.” And if you ask me, that’s the most horrifying thing a child could ever say. We find out her statement is true when a number of household ghosts make themselves known as Dani (Victoria Pedretti) makes her way around the manor.
Unlike Hill House, the ghosts of Bly Manor are very specific – and you can find out why in our very handy explainer about Flora’s dollhouse and who exactly her dolls represent.
Some ghosts are pretty easy to spot, with their silhouettes standing out in the background. Some are just blurry shapes and others are absolutely impossible to clock on your first watch.
Here are all the hidden ghosts in The Haunting of Bly Manor (so far...)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 1
(Editor's note: Seeing as all of the visions of Eddie aren’t really *hidden*, we’re excluding him from the list. Basically, whenever Dani looks into a mirror expect to see “Mr Turn-Around-Bright-Eyes”.)
Episode 1’s Ghost-o-meter seems to dominated by The Plague Doctor. He seems to be the only ghost in the first episode.
1) On the left of the foyer in the shadows as Flora welcomes Dani.
2) In the left corner by the stairs as Flora takes Dani on a tour of the manor. (21:00)
3) In the mirror when Miles walks into Dani's room. (22:20)
4) Behind Miles when he's eating dinner. (24:57)
5) In the joining bathroom behind Dani, when she says goodnight to Miles. (26:16)
6) In the mirror behind Dani when she walks through the bathroom into Flora’s room. (27:55)
7) In the mirror behind Dani when she picks up Viola’s doll from under the dresser. (28:43)
8) Behind Dani when she’s talking to Flora in bed. (29:40)
9) In the hallway as Dani goes for a cup of midnight tea. (31:50 and 32:00)
10) Behind Dani when she's in the gardens. (34:15)
11) In the kitchen fireplace, when Flora and Miles are eating breakfast. (36:09)
12) One in the doorway as Dani tucks Flora in on the second night. (45:22)
13) One in the mirror behind Dani again, when she accidentally kicks the Lady in the Lake’s doll. (46:25)
14) In the bathroom again when Miles walks into Flora’s room. (46:40)
15) In the closet mirror as Dani walks inside. (47:15)
16) At the end of the corridor when Dani gets out of the closet. (50:00)
17) On the left hand side, when the grounds of Bly are shown. (51:03)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 2
We’re introduced to more ghosts around Bly Manor in this episode. The Little Boy and Rebecca Jessel are seen a couple of times, as well as The Plague Doctor again.
The Little Boy:
18) In the pile of dolls in the basement, a head turns as Dani leaves. (05:20)
19) At the end of the hallway was Dani and Flora walk up the stairs and call for Miles. (5:52)
20) At the end of the hallway as Dani comes down the stairs. (06:20)
21) In the kitchen under the table, you can just about make out a pair of hands on one of the chairs. (24:56)
The Plague Doctor:
22) At the end of the hallway when Dani walks down stairs while playing hide and seek. (36:30)
23) In the room Dani checks in when they're playing hide and seek. (36:56)
24) In the classroom while Dani is playing hide and seek. Rebecca’s ghost is never usually “hidden” but her appearance in the classroom definitely counts. (37:20)
25) Outside when Owen brings drinks out to Hannah and Jamie. (26:02)
26) At the end of the hallway when Jamie walks into the kitchen. (30:48)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 3
Thanks to the scenes that take place in the foyer, we’re able to get a glimpse of The Soldier, who appears to frequent the spot under the stairs. The Little Boy also makes a few more appearances.
27) On the right of the screen by the lamp in the foyer as the policeman enters the house (06:18)
28) Behind Hannah in the shadows under the stairs as the policeman enters the house. (07:17)
29) Behind Dani again as she walks through the foyer. (08:00)
30) In the kitchen on the far right, when Rebecca and Peter are talking during a flashback. (19:57)
31) Close to the camera, when Rebecca and Peter are talking in the sitting room. (21:40)
32) Behind Dani as she's talking to Hannah after the doctor leaves (34:52)
The Little Boy
33) To the right of the policeman when he enters the manor. You can just make out the dress. (07:35)
34) Just behind Dani, on the left, when she sees Jamie sleeping on the sofa. (30:43)
35) Reflected in the mirror by the dollhouse as Dani checks Flora's room (32:49)
36) In the corner of the kitchen, next to the archway as Quint takes wine from kitchen. (37:51)
The Plague Doctor
37) Behind Dani's shoulder as she shows the policeman the picture of Quint (06:18)
38) On the left of the screen under the arch in the kitchen, when Hannah and Owen are talking. (37:22)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 4
In episode 4, viewers are given their first glimpse at Viola – a.k.a. the Lady in the Lake – as she slowly passes by in the background around the 47 minute mark as Miles and Flora attempt to distract a drunk Dani from wandering into her path. This one is pretty obvious, so you probably already saw (and screamed) at it when it happened. (39)
40) In the background, as Dani burns Eddie's glasses on the fire. (49:30)
41) Under the stairs when Jamie walks out into the foyer. (14:28)
The Plague Doctor
42) Sitting in the study when drunk Dani passes by. (46:05)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 5
43) In the doorway of the chapel when the Wingraves arrive. (09:30)
44) To the right of the stairs, as Hannah walks back into the foyer. (10:35)
The Little Boy
45) To the right of Hannah as she’s talking to Owen in the kitchen. (30:42)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 6
46) In the doorway of the bathroom when Dani and Hannah check on Flora. (23:41)
47 and 48) As Dani runs upstairs to the attic, on the right. There’s also another figure on the left. (1:03:00)
The Little Boy
49) Behind Dani, playing with Flora’s dollhouse. Again, this one wasn’t hard to miss (25:20)
The Plague Doctor
50) When Charlotte Wingrave opens the closet, there's a reflection in the mirror, although it's quite hard to figure out. (14:18)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 7
With all the Peter and Rebecca content and the memory hopping, there doesn't appear to be any notable ghosts in the background of this episode. Some shadows appear behind Rebecca in certain scenes but from about mid-way through the episode, the ghosts stop appearing.
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 8
Seeing as this episode explains exactly how the ghosts came to be, there aren’t any hidden ones. We see Viola kill The Priest, The Plague Doctor, her sister Perdita and The Little Boy. But there is one ominous moment as Perdita walks down the stairs.
(51) Behind her, Viola’s face in her portrait changes into a skull-like image. (30:23)
Haunting of Bly Manor Hidden Ghosts: Episode 9
After Dani invites Viola’s spirit to live within her, the curse of Bly Manor is lifted and the ghosts disappear. Instead of hidden ghosts, this episode is full of not-so-hidden glimpses of Viola in Dani’s reflection. She appears in windows, in the metal pitcher, in the sink of water and in the bathtub.