"American Horror Story" Season 9: News, Spoilers, Theme, Cast, Release Date And Everything You Need To Know
7 February 2019, 17:46 | Updated: 7 February 2019, 17:51
All the latest news and information about American Horror Story season 9 including the cast, theme, theories, spoilers and trailers.
In case you didn't know, American Horror Story was renewed for seasons eight and nine way back in January 2017 with the confirmation that the show would be back for season 10 earlier this year. There's no doubting that Apocalypse has been one of the most show-stopping and jaw-dropping seasons of the show so far but after the *actual* end of days, where can the series possibly go next?
So far, the theme has not been revealed (obviously) but it looks as thought we might have secured the first two cast members - Emma Roberts and Olympic Skier Gus Kenworthy, who will be playing girlfriend and boyfriend.
And yes, Sarah Paulson also appears to be on board with this season too. (Our Lord and Saviour Sarah has always maintained that she's game for whatever Ryan Murphy is cooking up.)
Here's the latest news about American Horror Story season 9...
- Confirmed by Ryan Murphy on Instagram, we'll be seeing a brand new face join the cast in season 9. Olympian Gus Kenworthy has been cast as Emma Roberts' boyfriend. No other details about his character have been released.
- It looks like Billy Eichner will be part of the cast for season 9, alongside Sarah Paulson. While appearing as guests on Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live, Billy and Sarah were asked if they anything about the new season. Neither of them spilled the tea but they both confirmed that they knew details, which means they're both involved.
- The theme has been decided, but Murphy is remaining tight lipped for now. "I can't say what it is! I'm going to this luncheon, and many of the Horror Story actors are there, and I'm gonna tell them for the first time," Murphy revealed.
- Good news: the witches are coming back! Bad news: it won't be in season 9. Ryan Murphy revealed to Entertainment Tonight that he's planning on doing another season with the Coven but it won't be in season 9. That'll have a completely different theme.
- Judging by the events of the Apocalypse finale, some people are speculating that the ninth season will be a sequel to the eighth season or some kind of parallel/repeat season, based on that creepy final scene that we'll no doubt be revisiting somewhere down the line. But we guess we'll just have to wait to find out...
Here's everything we know about American Horror Story season 9 so far:
What is the theme for American Horror Story season 9?
Before the theme was announced for season 8, it was speculated that season nine would be the Murder House/Coven crossover due to the busy schedules of everyone involved. Obviously, that theme was later confirmed as season 8 so the theme for next year's season is once again anyone's guess.
Before Apocalypse was announced, it *sounded* like Murphy was working on a completely different season, so whether or not that we will ever get to see that as the theme for season 9 remains to be seen. Following various 'clues' scattered across Apocalypse, fans are speculating that the next theme could focus on the extraterrestrial.
When will American Horror Story season 9 be released?
Season 9 of American Horror Story will likely be released in 2019. Given that the seasons usually premiere in September or October, AHS will be back on our screens in just under a year.
Which cast members will return for American Horror Story Season 9?
Emma Roberts and Gus Kenworthy are the first two confirmed cast members for season 9. And while nothing has been confirmed confirmed yet, it's sounds like we'll be seeing Sarah Paulson and Billy Eichner back too. The pair revealed that they knew details about AHS9 on Watch What Happens Live.
Paulson has said previously that she's always up for whatever Murphy is dreaming up next. "I have found a home in the sense that I work for a person who sees me completely, knows my strengths and weaknesses, knows how to push me and keeps throwing me the ball,” Paulson said of continuing to work with Murphy. “Why would you leave something that works? This idea of jumping off one thing just to be available in case something great comes by, that’s like leaving your wonderful mate because you think maybe someone more interesting is out there.”
As for Evan Peters? He might actually sit this next season out. Speaking to GQ, he revealed the emotional stress and impact that the show - and the characters he's had to play - has on him.
"I'm goofy, I'm silly, I like to have fun. I don't like to yell and scream. I actually hate it," he explained. "I think it's disgusting and really awful, and it's been a challenge for me. Horror Story sort of demanded that of me."
"It's been all a massive stretch for me and really difficult to do," he says of playing those characters. "It's hurting my soul and Evan as a person. There's this massive amount of rage that's been called upon from me, and the emotional stuff that's been called on me for Pose has been heartbreaking, and I'm sick. I don't feel good." Nooooo, Evan! :(
Fans are also speculating whether or not the now beloved Cody Fern will back for a second season. Speaking to OUT, he said he'd return "in a heartbeat," if he was asked by Murphy. Murphy also appears to have confirmed via Instagram that he'll be working with Cody on another upcoming project, but did not specify whether it was AHS-related or not. (Probably not, but one can dream. Add Evan Peters to this line up and we're in heaven.)
What’s going to happen in American Horror Story Season 9?
Who knows! Before it was announced that season eight would now be the crossover season, fans speculated that the next season could focus on some kind of nuclear threat that tied into Freak Show - but that turned out to be a preeeeetty big plot point in Apocalypse.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see what Ryan Murphy conjures up as his next theme, huh? When are we gonna get more tea on those damn aliens that were mentioned in Asylum that one time?
Have they started filming American Horror Story season 9 yet?
Not yet! Filming will likely take place in the summer/fall of 2019, as the show maintains a much smaller window between the filming and the airing of the season to avoid leaks or spoilers.
Is there an American Horror Story season 9 trailer?
Not yet but as soon as there is one, we'll let you know!