The Controversial "Heathers" Reboot Has Been Cancelled BEFORE It Even Aired
4 June 2018, 15:43
The Heathers reboot, which was slated to air back in March, has been officially been cancelled before it even one episode made it to air.
The reboot, which featured gun violence in a school setting, was due to air on March 7 but was pulled by Paramount in the wake of the Parkland shooting. The network previously said that the show would eventually end up with a new premiere date - which was later confirmed to be July 10 - but has now been cancelled completely, Variety confirms. The show will no longer air on Paramount.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Viacom (who own Paramount) have decided it will not air the 10-episode series and has scrapped plans for the second season, which had already been written. The decision was made to scrap the show in a bid to be respectful to the victims of the many school shootings that have happened across the US.
"This is a high school show, we're blowing up the school, there are guns in the school, it's a satire and there are moments of teachers having guns," Keith Cox, Paramount Network president told THR. "It's hitting on so many hot topics. This company can't be speaking out of both sides of its mouth, saying the youth movement is important for us and we've done all these wonderful things to support that and at the same time, we're putting on a show that we're not comfortable with."
The reboot had already attracted a ton of negative criticism on social media before it even aired due to its controversial LGBTQ+ and minority representation. It is currently being shopped around at other networks where it'll hope to be picked up but it is currently unknown if the show will eventually find a new home. Right now, given the ongoing conversation surrounding gun violence and the backlash the show has already received, it's not looking good.
RIP Heathers reboot, we hardly knew ya. x