Spider-Man back in the MCU as Sony and Marvel reach deal
27 September 2019, 17:13
Following an August disagreement between Sony and Walt Disney's Marvel, it appears that Spider-Man is back in MCU. Marvel President, Kevin Feige said he was "thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue". Tom Holland also reacted to the news with a perfect Instagram post.
Marvel fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Tom Holland's Spider-Man will now appear in future Marvel films, despite an earlier disagreement between Sony and Marvel which cast doubt on the hero's future in the MCU.
Previously, reports indicated that Sony and Walt Disney's Marvel Studios failed to "reach new terms that would have given [Disney] a co-financing stake going forward".
READ MORE: Spider-Man leaving the MCU has inspired some hilariously distressed memes
Deadline is reporting that Marvel Studios and Sony will come together on the as-yet-titled third Spider-Man film starring Tom Holland, which will be released on July 16, 2021. Spider-Man will also appear in Marvel films moving forward, as per the agreement reached.
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it," President of Marvel, Kevin Feige, said in a statement this week.
Meanwhile, Tom Holland shared his own reaction to the announcement on Instagram, posting a clip from The Wolf of Wall Street where Jordan Belfort rouses his supporters by screaming "I'M NOT LEAVING."
Fans were worried after news of the August stand-off between Sony and Marvel broke. Many were especially concerned because of Spider-Man's heavily implied future in the MCU as Tony Stark's heir apparent. Spider-Man's exit would have also created plot issues in future Marvel and Spider-Man films.
Now that THAT'S all been resolved, you can officially get excited for July 2021.