35 memes from Netflix's 'You' that will give you serious trust issues
8 January 2019, 12:21 | Updated: 8 January 2019, 16:03
Everyone is obsessed with YOU and the memes are hilarious...
It may have come out in 2018 but YOU is already the breakout Netflix series of 2019. The psychological thriller originally aired on Lifetime in the US but has since moved to Netflix and now it's being binged all over the world. From its incredible cast (Penn Badgley, Elizabeth Lail and Shay Mitchell all star in it) to its terrifying plot line (it's about a stalker), fans are as obsessed with every single aspect of it.
The show follows Joe Goldberg (Penn), a bookstore manager with a mysterious past, who stalks Guinevere Beck (Elizabeth), a graduate student and aspiring writer. So far, so simple. Except Joe manages to orchestrate a relationship with Beck and, in the process, commits multiple horrifying acts. The series is so wild and gripping that it has officially broken the internet with memes.
From Beck's lack of curtains (so much of her drama could have been avoided with curtains) to THAT boat scene (think of the children), there are so many WTF moments in the show that it translates perfectly to being memed. With that in mind, we've scoured social media and gathered together 37 of the funniest, creepiest and help me I'm being stalked YOU memes all in one place for you.
1. Some people are already changing their New Year's resolutions.
me: I'll start dating more in 2019— emma jean (@eemmajean) January 4, 2019
me, after finishing #YouNetflix on January 3: perhaps not
2. Others are noting down what they learned from the series.
#YouNetflix lessons:— Rezzi Stens (@rezzistens) January 6, 2019
1. Close your blinds
2. Stay off social media
3. Maybe just burn your phone entirely
4. Everyone cheats
5. You’re always being followed
6. If you don’t get your way, simply resort to murder
7. A glass box in a basement is never normal
8. Karen is that bitch
That glass box is giving us nightmares.
3. Let's get back to the curtains though.
this white woman in You don’t have curtains— THE HOOD ORACLE (@emoblackthot) January 8, 2019
Make it make sense.
4. It bears repeating.
you on Netflix is so addicting but omg does it make anyone else laugh or is it just me??? Like why doesn’t this bitch just get some CURTAINS !!!!— Jenn McAllister (@jennmcallister) January 7, 2019
5. Then there's the fact that Beck has sex where everyone on the street can see.
WHY DOES THIS WHITE GIRL KEEP HAVING SEX IN FRONT OF HER OPEN WINDOW— Ira (@ira) January 6, 2019
6. One or two viewers are asking the important questions.
But why does Joe need to wear an apron when working in a book store #YouNetflix— Sade (@discossuckss) December 29, 2018
7. Joe really is one of the most fucked up characters in the history of television.
8. He has no chill.
9. Thankfully Beck realises he is a creep even if it's too late.
Murder is not cute.
10. Her final speeches were legendary.
11. And yet some viewers like Joe?
Go see a psychiatrist now.
12. Thankfully one true icon always knew that there was something fishy about Joe.
Justice for Peach!!! Apparently the only smart person in all of New York City!!!— KB (@KaraRBrown) January 6, 2019
Shay Mitchell really came through.
13. Also this was hilarious.
Queen of getting under people's skin.
14. Joe really didn't take to it well.
It's what he deserves.
15. Okay maybe Peach is a bit of a psychopath too but she didn't kill anyone.
Peach is a bad bitch I maintain my opinion— bolu babalola (@BeeBabs) January 4, 2019
There are levels to this.
16. Also the irony of Joe calling Peach out.
What a dick.
17. The lack of self-awareness.
18. That bath scene.
This meme never gets old.
19. She always fucked up Joe's plans in the best way.
You can't not love her.
20. She was onto that dead body too.
She knew something was up.
21. I'm crying at how well this fits though.
This tweet deserves an award.
22. Still Joe is the worst.
The audacity of THIS bitch.
23. Beck really was screwed as soon as she found those teeth.
The beginning of the end.
24. Just like Benji before her.
25. Candace really shook Joe though.
I stan a potentially problematic legend.
26. There seems to be one common reaction to the series.
WHY DIDN'T SHE SEE THE SIGNS?
27. Also justice for Karen Minty.
Out of all the things Joe did, I’m most annoyed at the fact he cheated on Karen Minty #YouNetflix— Ropa 🌸 (@Txnkerbell) December 30, 2018
A likeable legend.
28. She also dealt with that break-up flawlessly.
29. A few fans are coming up with theories as to who Joe really is.
30. Dan Humphrey literally stalked people as Gossip Girl.
What happened to Serena?
31. The moral of the story is not to go anywhere near Joe Goldberg or a Penn Badgley look-a-like.
You can never be too safe.
32. Now people can't trust the men in their lives.
It's best to take precautions.
33. Or anything really.
Things @YouNetflix has ruined for me:— Netflix US (@netflix) January 7, 2019
-windows that face the street
-windows in general, tbh
-the name “Joseph”
-clothes from the Charles Dickens era
-my already tenuous ability to actually trust technology
That Charles Dickens episode was wild.
34. Still long live the memes.
They are all iconic.
35. And bring on Season 2.
We're ready to go through this all over again.