A New 'Riverdale' Spin Off Is In The Works But It'll Be "VERY Different"
7 August 2018, 11:39 | Updated: 7 August 2018, 13:49
It'll apparently be VERY different from Riverdale...
Hold onto your wigs ladies because a Riverdale spinoff is reportedly in the works and it sounds VERY interesting.
It was revealed at the Riverdale TCA panel on Monday (Aug 6) that showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is in the very early stages of developing and moving forward with a new spinoff/companion show for the series at The CW. “In terms of spinoffs out of Riverdale, I’m waiting to hear what Roberto has in mind. He has something in mind," network president Mark Pedowitz revealed.
Aguirre-Sacasa didn't elaborate on the subject of the spinoff, nor did he say if the spinoff would feature any of our fave current characters on the show but he did reveal that he hopes to develop it in time for the 2019-20 TV season.
"We're really excited but we're still early on in the process. It will be very different from Riverdale," Aguirre-Sacasa told reporters.
Despite technically being a spinoff from the Archie Comics universe, The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina (which will premiere on Netflix on October 26th 2018) will not be connected to Riverdale. There won't be any crossovers between the two shows and no one from Riverdale will make an appearance on the other side of Sweetwater River either. When asked why, Aguirre-Sacasa explained, “I think right now we’re just making sure that the shows have their own identities and own set of rules.”
But anyway, enough about that. Let's get back to that chat about an actual spinoff of Riverdale, shall we? Who could it be about? Will it be one of our favourite background characters? Will it be someone from the Archie Comics who hasn't appeared yet? After a quick roundtable discussion here at PopBuzz HQ, here is a brief list of spinoffs ideas that we all need and deserve:
1) An entire 8-season drama series centred around the South Side Serpents. (Sons of Anarchy is SHAKING.)
2) A parents only series. (It's what we desERVE!!)
3) A prequel series about the parents when they were teens. (It's also what we deserve!!)
4) Kevin moves to New York to follow his dreams of winning a Tony. (This is basically just Glee season 4, isn't it? Kevin is Rachel Berry.)
5) Josie and the Pussycats. (That's it. That's the show. Josie, Val and Melody on tour, singing original songs, while trying to solve a mysterious murder that took place on the tour bus.)
6) An entire series about Madame Blossom's brothel. (YOU PROMISED HER A BROTHEL, HIRAM!)
7) A Hot Dads Of Riverdale™ procedural crime drama. (Sheriff Keller is the Sheriff, obviously. Fred is the wholesome cop. And FP is a vigilante associate who works closely with the precinct and does all the dirty work on the night shift.)
8) The Real Housewives of Riverdale. (CC: Andy Cohen and Bravo.)
9) The Sopranos ft. Hiram and Hermione. (Seedy mob business, drug runs, extortion, MURDER. Wait, that's basically Riverdale anyway... never mind.)
10) A Friday Night Lights style sports spin off. (Archie, Reggie, Chuck, Jason Blossom... and we're bringing back Chuck's hot Coach dad for this one too.)
11) A web-series of Chic giving out questionable life advice on web cam. (It's basically Web Therapy, but with Chic instead of Lisa Kudrow.)
12) Legal drama starring Mary Andrews and Sierra McCoy. (It's called The Good Sis.)
13) A Netflix style crime-doc made by Betty and Jughead where they FINALLY expose The Sisters Of Quiet Mercy. (HONESTLY!!!)
14) Bonnie and Clyde remake but it's Alice and FP - and no one dies in the end. (It writes itself, people!)