‘To All the Boys I've Loved Before’ Fans Prefer John To Peter K In The Sequel
31 August 2018, 22:20 | Updated: 31 August 2018, 23:02
Start memorising John Ambrose McClaren's name now...
If you've watched To All the Boys I've Loved Before, chances are that you will have already fallen in love with Peter Kavinsky. In the film Peter is Lara Jean Song Covey's (Lana Condor) main love interest. Played to perfection by Noah Centineo, Peter is the stuff of rom-com dreams. Not only is he charming and handsome but he is also sensitive and caring af. If only more boys were like Peter Kavinsky.
However, longterm fans of TATBILB will know that Peter is far from perfect. The hit film may have only just been released on Netflix but it was originally the first in a trilogy of best-selling novels written by Jenny Han. In the books, Peter is everything that he is in the films but he is also messy and an occasional jerk. In fact, if you read the sequel (P.S. I Still Love You) you may prefer John to Peter.
Do you mean Josh (Israel Broussard)? John (Jordan Burtchett) is hardly in the film. No. We're not joking. In the second book John Ambrose McClaren takes centre stage. After receiving, Lara Jean's letter in the post, she and John start a relationship as pen pals. John even enters the picture physically and becomes a rival to Peter for Lara Jean's affection (Lara Jean and Peter hit a rough patch).
With this in mind, some TATBILB fans actually stan John more than Peter. That's why the post-credits scene in the film is so important. John actually shows up at Lara Jean's house with the letter he received. For casual viewers, this could seem like it's just a gag but readers of the books know that it's a hint of what's still to come. John is about to disrupt Lara Jean and Peter's relationship.
Taking all of this into consideration, we've gathered some tweets from John fans that prove why you must know his name.
Some people are ready for the drama to commence.
can’t wait till ps i still love you comes out and john ambrose mclaren comes and fucks everyone’s shit up— elle (@talkfastelle) August 18, 2018
We don't want anything to come in between Peter and Lara Jean but also... we love drama.
In fact, for some people Peter Kavinsky was never an option.
peter kavinsky who???? i only know john ambrose mcclaren from model un in 5th grade!!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/qYIh4vmcYF— 🍍hazel🍍 (@hazeldal) August 24, 2018
John really is THAT great.
Plus John is actually perfect.
what the locals don’t know is that in the sequel to all the boys i’ve loved before peter kavinsky actually fucks up a lot making us look like boo boo the fool thinking he was perfect 😔🤝 but at least john ambrose exists <33— 𝐡𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐲 (@haileycherone) August 24, 2018
If you know, you know.
He literally is what people imagine that Peter is.
john ambrose mcclaren is the type of guy everyone thinks peter kavinsky is— 𝐡𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐲 (@haileycherone) August 26, 2018
Tea has been served.
If you're still not convinced, this thread lays out all of the important points.
1) he was an unproblematic king, he just wanted to make everyone happy— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
3) tried to ask lara jean to their eight grade formal by spelling it out in flowers and sticks but her dad stopped him— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
5) bought lara jean a snow globe for her birthday to remind her of their night in the snow when they got stuck at belleview— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
7) didn't mind people teasing him about his lisp— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
9) was nice to literally EVERYONE even genevieve— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
11) wrote cute af letters to lara jean, when will your fav ever— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
13) was lara jean's first ever romantic moment and for that we decided to stan— megan ✨ BLOOM DAY (@jordanburtchtt) August 23, 2018
And last but not least John makes Peter jealous which arguably makes Peter even more attractive.
i want the uso party. i want the snowball fight scene. i want the treehouse/time capsule party. i want the game of assassins. i want jealous peter. i want john ambrose mcclaren. i want ps i still love you NOW.— amanda (@thesonggirls) August 19, 2018
We see no lies.
In short, Peter is great but John is a king and, if we get the film sequel that we deserve, people may switch their allegiances from Team Peter to Team John. In the mean time, live your best life and read the books. You won't regret it.