Netflix's Wednesday: Release date, cast, plot and news about The Addams Family series
6 June 2022, 17:42
Tim Burton's coming-of-age series about the iconic Wednesday Addams is coming to Netflix. Here's what we know so far.
A brand new series called Wednesday is set to be released in 2022 that will feature a fresh take on the iconic character of Wednesday Addams in a live-action, supernatural, coming-of-age story.
Burton will be making his TV debut as he directs and executive produces the series alongside creators and writers Al Gough and Miles Millar, who will serve as showrunners.
So far, we already know a few details about what to expect in the new show, including who will be playing the all important roles of Wednesday, Gomez and Morticia Addams have already been cast. (Jenna Ortega, Luiz Guzmán and Catherine Zeta-Jones?! I know perfect casting when I see it!)
The latest news? Our very first look at Jenna as Wednesday has finally arrived – and she looks perfect!
Here's everything we know about Netflix's Wednesday so far...
When is Wednesday released on Netflix?
There is currently no exact confirmed release date for Wednesday just yet. But we do know that it will be released on Netflix in the fall of 2022.
Fans could see the show launch at some point in October, which would certainly make sense for the themes and vibe. We'll update this article as soon as we know more.
Wednesday cast: Who is playing Wednesday Addams?
In May 2021, after plenty of speculation from fans, Netflix announced which actress would be taking on the role of Wednesday in the new series.
- Jenna Ortega will play teenage Wednesday Addams.
The 18-year-old actress is best known for her roles as Ellie Alves is Netflix's You and most recently, Katie in Netflix's Yes Day movie. Sharing the news on Instagram, Jenna wrote: “New chapter. Hope I can do Wednesday Addams justice. *snaps twice*”
Jenna now follows in the footsteps of Christina Ricci, who perhaps gave us the most well known iteration of the character, and Chloë Grace Moretz, who voiced Wednesday in the 2019 animated film.
Wednesday cast: Who is playing Gomez and Morticia Addams?
In August 2021, the all important roles of Wednesday's parents Gomez and Morticia Addams were revealed.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones will play Morticia Addams
- Luis Guzmán will play Gomez Addams
Zeta-Jones will follow in the footsteps of actresses including Carolyn Jones, Anjelica Houston and Charlize Theron who have all played and voiced the iconic Morticia on screen.
Guzmán follows the likes of John Astin, Raul Julia, Tim Curry and Oscar Isaac as the Addams family patriarch Gomez.
Our Addams family is expanding!— Netflix (@netflix) August 9, 2021
Catherine Zeta-Jones will step into the iconic silhouette of Morticia Addams while Luis Guzmán will bring to life the debonair Gomez Addams in the upcoming TV series Wednesday, starring Jenna Ortega as Wednesday Addams and directed by Tim Burton. pic.twitter.com/MiofyWIbwy
Wednesday cast: Who else is in the Netflix cast?
So far, a handful of characters have been confirmed to be appearing in the series. It's also been confirmed that Pugsley Addams, Thing and Lurch will be part of the Netflix show. They will be played by:
- Isaac Ordonez will play Pugsley Addams, Wedneday's younger brother.
- Victor Dorobantu will play Thing.
- George Burcea will play Lurch, the Addams' family servant.
Here's who else is in the cast so far, and who they're playing:
- Gwendoline Christie as Larissa Weems, the principal of Nevermore Academy, and former classmate of Morticia. Larissa is not a fan of the Addams family, and has an axe to grind with Morticia.
- Hunter Doohan as Tyler Galpin, a townie with a troubled relationship with his father a.k.a. the local sheriff, who strikes up an unlikely friendship with Wednesday Addams.
- Percy Hynes White as Xavier Thorpe, a charismatic and supernaturally artistic Nevermore Academy student, who comes from wealth thanks to his celebrity psychic father.
- Georgie Farmer as Ajax Petropolus, an awkward and shy student at Nevermore Academy who also happens to be a Gorgon.
- Emma Myers as Enid Sinclair, Wednesday's sunny and colourful Californian roommate at Nevermore Academy. Enid hails from a pack of San Francisco Werewolves.
- Moosa Mostafa as Eugene Otinger, one of Nevermore Academy's quirkiest students and president of the school's bee-keeping club.
- Naomi J. Ogawa as Yoko Tanaka, a vampire with Harajuku-inspired Goth flair and one of the cool kids at Nevermore Academy.
- Joy Sunday will play Bianca Barclay, one of Nevermore Academy's most popular students, Bianca descends from a long line of Sirens with a mesmerizing power to persuade.
- Riki Lindhome as Dr. Valerie Kinbot, a local therapist in the sleepy town of Jericho who takes a particular interest in her newest patient Wednesday Addams.
- Jamie McShane as Sheriff Donovan Galpin, who has always had an issue with Nevermore Academy and a vendetta against former student Gomez Addams.
Thora Birch, who was set to play Tamara Novak, dropped out of the project for personal reasons in December 2021.
Who is Christina Ricci playing in Netflix's Wednesday?
It was announced in March 2022 that Christina Ricci would be joining the cast of Netflix's Wednesday – but she will not be playing the older version of Wednesday that she famously portrayed in the Addams Family films.
Instead, Christina will be playing a new character. Details about her character are being kept under wraps for now.
Deadline reports that Christina Ricci's character will be "similar to the one originally played by Birch" and will fill that role on the show. Thora's character Tamara was "Wednesday's dorm mother and the only "Normie" on staff at Nevermore Academy with a focus on all things botanical."
What is Wednesday about?
Wednesday, which will have 8 episodes, will follow a slightly more grown up Wednesday Addams as she navigates life and school. The official synopsis of the series has already been released:
"Wednesday Addams misadventures as a student at Nevermore Academy: a very unique boarding school snuggled in deepest New England.
Wednesday’s attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town, and solve the supernatural mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago — all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships at Nevermore."
Is there a Wednesday trailer yet?
Not yet! No trailer for the series has been released so far, but Netflix have revealed the first couple of teasers that feature Wednesday and Thing. We'll update this article as soon as a trailer has been released. For now, here's the first teaser.
Family life is killing me. Time to lose the dead weight. pic.twitter.com/NlkAH8YVSO— Wednesday Addams (@wednesdayaddams) June 6, 2022